Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"Take Me to Jail, Please! A Klingon is After Me"

    Seeing the boss has decided to not be in for the last couple of days, pretty sure he's away at a trade show or something, I've not had to deal with more sneak attacks and today even the biggest add which he has sent my way is also out.  So I have no new stories on the subject of work, though I'm sure there will be more to come.  Oddly it is a quiet day in the life of this little adventurer.  I can see the sun and blue skies through my windows to the outside of this dungeon I call work, despite the ridiculous amounts of stupid people calling in, it's a pretty good day.  Kinda glad for that as there's been a lot of not so good days lately, so yay for the good ones!

    Today I want to talk about cos-playing and character choices.  As I'm about to pull out a whole new character to dress up as I find myself thinking about all of this wondering if a lot of the other cos-players do what I do to prep for it.  It could just be my OCD and all of those years doing theater of some sort, I really don't know.  But when I decide to dress up as a character, I do my research.  Not only so that I can get the costume right, which is relative as I am a big believe that when you're dressing as a character you need to make it your own while sticking to the basics of said character, but I do this also so that I can see what makes that character tick.  Getting their back story, how they treat other's, and basically trying to get inside their head to see how to portray them properly.

    Most of the cos-playing I have done has been on comic characters which means there's LOTS out there on each one.  Which is good in the long run, because that makes my research MUCH easier.  Not only does it mean lots of info and generally lots of fun reading (oh darn having to sit and read comics occasionally) and some very cool pictures which give great later ideas for costuming as said character.  I guess it's kinda one of those things like with actors where they sit, read their scrip and ask, "what is my motivation" with each character they play.

    The other thing I sometimes wonder is if people will cos-play someone because they connect to a character or if it's strictly just because they think that character is cool, looks neat or they kinda looks like them.  Because I know sometimes you just have to find a character that is awesome and do your very best to be that character.  I can honestly say that I have done all of the above.  Though lately I've been trying hard to find something I can relate to with each character I portray.  I don't want to be that person who dresses up in something fun and in turn knows NOTHING about the person I look like.

    I know with Ivy and myself there are ways I COMPLETELY jive with her, she's hyper intelligent, she's very protective of her own (it's portrayed over and over with how protective she is of Harley and how many times she comes to her rescue), loves nature and plants, and has been screwed over by the opposite gender A LOT (actually it was a HUGE betrayal from the man who seduced her, originally it was to help him steal an Egyptian artifact filled with herbs and was revised later to be her mentor another botanist, causing her to go from the botanist Pam Isley to the dangerous beauty filled with poison).  These are all things which make sense to me, am I a person who would be lead to a life of crime due to all of the things I've been through, maybe not, but it doesn't mean I don't understand her and perhaps if I had her powers it may have been a different story.

    So let me ask, what motivates you with your costumes?  If you are indeed into dressing up as other characters that is.  Because that is always something I'd LOVE to hear about!  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment