Thursday, April 11, 2013

It's Not Like I'm a Marauder Over Here...Silly Real Life Paradox

    So, as some of you know, my first table top rpg was Mage: The Ascension.  I love me some Old School White-Wolf their system for character creation involves lots filling in dots, the game itself lends it self to rolling lots of d10's and very cool abilities, types of supernatural beings to play.  I guess you could say I'm a sucker for this system.  Not sure if it's because it's what I started on or that I just jive with the world that it encompasses, types of magic, beings, etc etc it involves.  Either way, it's kinda my favorite system and whenever I get the chance to play it or run it, I just have an EPIC amount of fun.  I know it's awful to say but I even love the larp version, which is called Mind's Eye Theater for those who don't have ANY clue what I'm babbling about.  It's actually how I met a lot of the people I still consider part of my crew, back in the day.  

    What's my point with all of that description?  You may ask.  Well here we go, as my first game was MtA. I will sometimes think about what Spheres I have (ie schools of magic).  Today it was brought up while talking to a friend about wishing it was already time for the day to be done.  I mentioned that I don't have quite THAT many dots in Time and Correspondence sadly.  The conversation went on to talk about how Paradox (which is essentially the balancing force to a mage) would slap me silly if I did.  Due to the fact I'd be using those a LOT and well, the universe can only take SO much bending of the laws of physics without repercussions.  Rumpelstiltskin coins it best in the show Once Upon a Time when he says, "All magic comes with a price dearie."  

    Besides all that, I'm less of Virtual Adept or member of the Cult of Ecstasy and much more of a Verbena (though less of a hippy then most of them) or Dreamspeaker.  Though I do wonder if what I've been considering my "Irish luck," because the true Irish luck was actually bad luck in history didn'cha know, is actually Paradox kicking at me for all my helping folks.  I tend to be someone who helps people heal through things.  In the past it has even been an amusing joke amoungst my friends and I as it seems like when I date someone I help that person get to a point where they're ok and able to stay with the next person they actually date.  Just an amusing coincidence in my past and life.  But either way, I have thought that perhaps Paradox is telling me I've done too much with my sphere's of life, spirit and mind to help out the folks I care most about.  Despite the fact I had THOUGHT I was using a lot more coincidental magick then I was.

    Honestly if this is the case, come on Paradox, bring it on!  Because if it means that I have helped people and allowed them to be ok in the long run, even with it not working out that way for me, I am ok with that.  Seriously though, if this is all that Paradox has got, I think I'm doing well, it's not like I've been blinked out of existence or put in a pocket dimension or had something else that could result from too much Paradox and/or meeting a Paradox Spirit.  Though, I shouldn't say that TOO loudly or else I might incur their wrath.  With the "Paradox" of my bad luck that I do have, because of the good results on the other side, it may be a heavy cost, but I pay it gladly.

No comments:

Post a Comment