Friday, April 5, 2013

Real Life Intimidate, When did THAT Happen?

    Something I don't use often with the natural Charisma score, which the dice have given me at the start of this adventure called life, is the Intimidate skill, at least not on purpose.  I find that you truly do get more of a positive response to being nice, actually talking to people and leading by example then forcing or pushing them into doing something.  Diplomacy and strait Charisma are for the win in my book!  However, I have noticed that sometimes either my opinions or my charismatic self causes an unwilling Intimidate roll.  I definitely avoid attempting at rolling it, but it rolls on it's own.

    One such example was pointed out to me last night sadly.  Our very own sidekick type from last Friday's post spent the entirety of last night at our local night trying to dodge out of the way.  He seemed spooked and almost scared of me.  When I would come up and talk to people he would walk away and refused to come up and say hello at all.  Now, at first I figured he was just trying to be social and just saw a whole bunch of other people, until I started walking to him while he was by himself and he got a nervous, almost hardened look on his face and went the other way.

    Later in the night after lots of practicing my bard skills of dancing a lot, and spending time with all of my friends who were there, it was confirmed.  Apparently the fact that there are particular lines of conversation which I may seem to be strong and know how I believe about them intimidated him and made him no longer want to talk to me.  In other words I scared him away, just by being myself, having opinions and talking about them when asked.  I am not a person to push my own beliefs or thoughts on other's, but if I'm asked, I'm going to tell you how I feel, think or believe on something, and he had asked.  It made me a little sad that he had been so intimidated by this little cleric/rogue, that usually, without a bow, bird seed packet, foam weapon, dice or a controller in my hands wouldn't actually hurt anyone intentionally.

    I have hope that I can fix the situation, however until he has gotten over the affects of the fear spell I apparently cast without knowing, it is what it is.  While it is there, watching him roll dodge so many times, or attempt to use hide in plain sight poorly did amuse me a little.  It was almost comical to watch this poor guy actual back up from a group of people when he had walked up and realized I was there.  Or attempt not to look at me as I walked past.  It was as if I could hear the dice roll and the "please don't see me, please don't see me," thought going through his mind as I bounced from group to group of my friends.

    The only other way I've ever really seen intimidation is having someone who has made their interest known (usually on some form of non-face-to-face communication as it's easier that way) and informed me they'd been nervous to tell me as I'm intimidating to them because of said interest.  That has only happened a few times in my life, but it's still a weird thing, as one of my old co-workers said about me, while I was working a security job I might add, "You're not intimidating, cute, maybe a bit yes, intimidating?  No."

    I am open, honest, and as I said, relatively nice to people unless you hurt someone I care about.  If that is the case then, I will show you that scorn and fierceness that hell hath nor fury for.  But that is a story for yet another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment