Monday, April 15, 2013

Sensing the Need to Roll Real Life Initiative...

    Now my town is a very diverse town, we have the Russian mob, the Irish mob, we have a decent conglomeration of upper middle and upper class that live in one particular part of town and then we have a whole lot of Red Neck type people who live here.  Which leads to some interesting looks because I do have a tendency to dress a LITTLE on the gothier side of things normally.  Back in the day there were a lot of folks who lived in my town or near enough by that they'd come here to hang out or go to shows here that dressed in some sort of alternative style.  However most of the punk rock, gothy, metal head types here decided to get out of this town over the years (I was kinda friends with a lot of them and am still in contact with some of them).  Not really long enough ago that it should cause the reaction it did yesterday while I was walking in town.

    I was just out for a walk, albeit a REALLY long walk (I think I'd already been gone an hour at that point).  But I usually don't have issues like this so it'd never really been a big deal before.  Today I was definitely in all black complete with my Eluveitie, who is an amazing folk metal band, hoodie as the final layer.  Believe me I was looking like I'd dressed for and been walking around for a while, by no means dressed to impress anyone.  As I'm starting on my way home a truck turns a corner.  Now having seen the truck at the stop sign I'd noticed that the two guys were the typical redneck townies that I'd grown accustom to unfortunately being around and here.  So I'd just continued on my way home.  They had seen me for sure, because out of the corner of my eye I had seen their heads moving as I walked past where they were stopped.

    So they turned the corner and as they pulled onto this new street, they stopped.  Being curious I kinda glanced over at them to see what was going on.  They were looking at me in the rear view mirror.  Just sitting there, stopped in the middle of the street watching me.  I've never in my life before had that, "time to roll initiative" feeling but I did right at that moment.  I continued walking, with a determined look on my face, considering I am obviously someone who has the confidence to walk about by  herself without someone else to "hold my hand."  Just waiting to see if they'll get out of the truck and I'll have to use some sort of self defense instead of continuing my walk, or be overpowered by two guys who were both bigger then me and have something worse happen.

    After a few moments of them obviously watching me they finally drove off and I continued on my way.  Letting out a sigh of relief to be sure.  I was a lot more on guard then I had thought I was.  I really was glad when they drove off and I didn't have to use any of the small amounts of self defense I know.  Definitely made me think about putting more points into agility, strength and using my body as a weapon as I'm not always carrying a bow, sword or have too many "spells" that cause physical harm to folks.  Weird that when it came down to it, I know in a situation like that I'm not a flight person but a hold my ground you're not going to take me fight person.  This whole thing is not going to stop me from being my normal self and having the confidence and go to do things on my own, but seriously, don't you have something better to do then to stop in the middle of the street and stare at cute little gothy/metal type chicks who are just minding their own business walking on a nice day?!  Making her go on the defensive and wish she had a fireball to throw at your stupid truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment