Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Real Life Leveling to Max Level Tailoring

    Lately as I've been watching various different shows and anime's or playing various video games I keep seeing costumes that I REALLY want to make.  Now I am also a cos-player, on top of a larper and I make a LOT of my own costuming for these things.  Most of the garb I own for fantasy larps I have made myself and I've done a lot with cos-play costumes as well, particularly with Poison Ivy who is the character I dress up as most for conventions and things like that.  So I LOVE getting ideas, and spending real life "gold", skill points or focus points on patterns, discovering ways to make the outfits or just sitting down and crafting, which I've always been picked on in WoW as I was maxed out in herbalism, tailoring AND cooking...I guess I just can't escape being domestic in some ways.  But hey, I'm kinda like that in real life too, so I don't mind.

     Now like many girls I enjoy dressing up, and I swear I was born in the wrong century.  So my most recent project was a Victorian Poison Ivy costume.  I wore it to TempleCon this year and plan on wearing it a lot in future.  I feel that I finally kicked over to max level tailoring recently.  I plan on making many more Victorian, Steampunk and other such historical or alternative historical items for myself and for others as that seems to be my specialization in my tailoring skill.  I was so very proud of how the outfit for TempleCon came out.  I received MANY compliments as the weekend went on, which helped.  I also plan on expanding and making that particular costume better for coming times wearing it.

    Dressing up as another persona/character also plays out in fun ways as it shows people you're not afraid of your geekiness and that you know a bit about what you're dressing up as.  I LOVE going to conventions and seeing all the costumes and getting to hang out with like minded people on this.  Over the years I've been to MANY different conventions and seen many different types of costuming and cos-players.  From NY Comic Con where just about everyone was all decked out as their favorite comic characters to anime conventions, which let me tell you the last time I went to Otakon was with a group who went as Record of Loddoss Wars....THAT was fun!

    Something that you DO have to look out for, if your costume is particularly awesome you may have a heck of a time seeing the whole convention.  Because you can literally go 10 feet and then have half an hour of pictures, rinse repeat.  But hey, if you don't mind hamming it up for the camera, you're golden!  Lets just say, go out with your best foot forward in costume!  It's a blast, and when you get the compliments like that, it makes you feel like you accomplished something fun and amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment