Monday, March 11, 2013

Completing a Quest within a Quest for Real Life Events

    Tonight I definitely had an "Oh Crap!" moment.  I remembered that one of the few larping events I'm ACTUALLY going to this season, was this weekend.  Realizing that all of my garb for this event has been sitting in a bin all winter and needs to be washed.  I mean I haven't thought about any of it since November and it has just been sitting in a bin since then, I decided rather then wait and do it later on this week I REALLY need to get this done now.  It's always very amusing to me, to remember things last minute like that.  Another example for this same game, is the fact that I've had all winter to make a specific prop, a staff, for this persona/character and I just haven't done it.  At this point it is FAR to late to get the materials in time so I may be going weaponless this coming weekend.

    Last minute prep for events, whether they're larps, conventions, SCA events, or even just vacations are always interesting to think about.  At least for me, they involve running around to get things done and then remembering I have other things on top of that I need to do.  I have to find this thing in my bins, finish fixing that item or outfit, make sure I still have this item and make sure it's not needing any repairs.  Usually for me it also involves some sort of cooking or baking as I'm one of those who likes to be prepared and likes to make sure there's things for people to eat, I have my own low blood sugar I don't want anyone else to go without either.

    Granted some of my hobbies may require a little more preparation then some other people's but it's still similar I've found whenever anyone is going somewhere to do something they enjoy.  They always have some form of preparation for the trip.  Some little ritual that the trip or event isn't complete without.  It's kinda like one of the "mini-games" inside the game.  Finding all the pieces and making them fit.  Or doing something extra as a part of the bigger quest.  In my head it's actually being compared to a particular daily quest in Zul'Drak from Northrend in World of Warcraft, yes I have played this in the past as well, when you have to complete the quests for four different commanders of the army in order to get credit for the daily quest itself.  There was even an achievement for getting it done in a specific amount of time.  It was always a challenge to get it done in that time, even after I got the achievement (which didn't take THAT long).  This is what prep feels like for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment