Thursday, March 14, 2013

PIES, Signs and THACO...Math? for Real Life Geeks...

    It never fails, every year on March 14th there are posts all over my social media about it being pi day.  Now I'm all about yet another nerdy day being celebrated, and seeing it's a math thing it's even more fun (come on I have played AD&D and DO know how to calculate THACO), but it seriously just makes me want to pull out apples from my fridge and make mini-apple pies.  I ALWAYS get the urge to bake things.  I don't usually get around to doing it, between work, social events and gaming.  But it's always a funny thing to be inspired to level my cooking and make something tasty.

    This year it also looks like there will be no pie making in my future, much to the chagrin of the friends I'll be larping with this weekend (they're big fans of my cooking rolls).  As tonight I get to once again go out dancing and having fun with friends.  But I still have that desire to do it.  As I mentioned in my post about costuming, I do have a bit of a domestic side and tend to love baking as well, and from what I've been informed, pies are kinda my specialty.  

    I usually do tend to bake things for my larps and in fact one of the nic-names I've had from the larp Tales of Valor I used to frequent was the "Snack Drakon."  Which for those who're not familiar with said larp, it's a Celtic fantasy larp and Drakon are essentially dragon people, horns, scales, sometimes fangs and all.  But as that character I always brought baked goods, snack foods and extra dinner for folks in case they needed it, hence the name.  So needless to say, I kinda dig baking and cooking.  

    This weekend, while I'll be bringing food it won't be my general spread.  They'll just have to deal with normal store bought snacks and promises that if I'm able to make it out again this season I'll bring tasty baked things next time.  

    So for now I wait for my fun time tonight, wish there was a way to paint the day red, because red makes it go fasta (imagine in the closest orky voice a girl can have) and have my urge to make some pie in celebration of perhaps one of the nerdiest days of the year.  How many numbers of "n" do you have memorized?

No comments:

Post a Comment