Thursday, March 21, 2013

Presence or Something Like it, Real Life Attributes and Stats

    I know, I know, I missed yesterday.  I was kinda dealing with some things that demanded my full attention.  However today we're back and I've got some things all ready to go.  So this week at least my hide in plain sight skill has been working well!  I'm happy to report that I've been continuing to pass my stealth checks, as sadly the boss is beyond diplomacy checks and intimidate would just get me in more trouble and more then likely lead to me needing to find a new place to work.  But hey, so far so good on the stealth check to do this.  So it's all good.

    For a long time I've made references to my own character sheet in life.  Talking about what rolls or how many dots I have for individual stats and skills.  More then likely I have used dots a bit more as I have always been a World of Darkness lover and I like their character creation and character sheets, however lately I've been thinking more in Pathfinder/DnD terms as well, sadly I've not been interested in the new WoD stuff AND that's what I've been playing more.  Plus, it's a lot harder to choose to say be a truly charismatic person or an intelligent person if it's just not there, so for real life purposes I believe the rolling of dice style that is associated with Pathfinder and DnD are much more appropriate.  

   Seeing I've never played a level zero starting character I'd like to say I believe that those are our developing years.  The years of being born, being kids, going through our teens.  These are the things that form a basis for what our 4 D6 and drop the lowest number as we get past our teen years.  These are the times when we find out which rolls are higher and which are lower.  Essentially these are the times when we figure out what class we should be, which honestly can change as you grow and get older, but our base classes are really formed while we are zero level.  

    Lately I've been noticing around me, at work, with friends, out and about in the world what stats and skills people have ended up with a good roll in and which ones they haven't.  For example, at my work, we have one particular person who just didn't roll highly in any stat but Constitution.  She NEVER gets sick, and I've NEVER seen her run down, worn out or overly tired.  She just keeps moving forward.  But otherwise that's about where it ends.  I play a game every day, trying not to laugh when she forgets to bring up the schedules which I have to call in daily so the field guys know when they're working the next day.  She has remembered perhaps a handful of times.  This is something I've seen elsewhere as well, but she's just the biggest example of this in my current life.

    I have several friends who just eek charisma as well.  They can walk into and through a room and people just pay attention to them.  It's as if they have a charm spell, enchantment of some sort or if you're a WoD nerd and know any of the skills from VtM, they have constant Presence going.  I'm ALWAYS amazed going places with them at the amount of attention they get instantly and tend to spend my time laughing at people's attempts to just be near them.  Granted a LOT of my friends are people who rolled VERY well on all or most of their stats, the amazing conversations, beauty inside and out, words from years of learning life's lessons, it makes me proud that they consider me a friend as well, but I've gone over that before.  Let me just say I do have some SHINY, amazing friends.  

   I like to think about some of the "great minds" of our age, thinking about that I'm always amazed at the level of intelligence or wisdom that come from their writings, discoveries, inventions and things that have helped our society move forward today.  I'm constantly amazed at the things that our scientists are finding and figuring out.  I look back at history and see all the amazing things that have been done.  I think to all of the great musical composers and the works that have made their mark on our world.  I think of the art which came from minds which we can't even fathom today.  I think of all the great tacticians which have come through this world.  Someone once told me they loved how I could find the wonder and magic in the mundane, I don't know how anyone couldn't, there's just SO MUCH to be amazed over and learn.  

    There are definitely people who come up shorter, but honestly even those who didn't roll quite as well do have something, perhaps that you might find in their stats if you just look closely enough.  I'm not saying everyone has good in them, because well, sometimes that's just hard to see and believe.  But there are lots more that you can learn about that do have some amazing qualities in them if we just stop and find out who they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment