Friday, March 15, 2013

Beware the Ides...Wait...Why? Eh, Why Not

    A long long time ago (in a galaxy far away...), in Ancient Rome the Ides of March was a celebration for a goddess that little is really known about.  Except for the writings of the poet Ovid, and even then it was only two works about her.  It's said that Rome was empty on that day for the festivities and some speculate that is why a group of people decided to make that day, a day which would be immortalized forever.

    It was 44  BC Caesar was preparing for his day of festivities.  He was on his way when suddenly he was surrounded.  They began stabbing him at the foot of a statue of Pompey where the Senate was meeting and he died, I would think and as Shakespeare portrayed, feeling very betrayed and perhaps wishing he had paid attention to what the soothsayer had told him.  As this famous event is where we get the saying, "Beware the Ides of March."  I'm definitely sure he should have listened to this.  Though no way to really know whether that would have been the case as we haven't quite figured out how to break the space time continuum yet.  Somebody get me a TARDIS quick, preferably with the Doctor inside but just the TARDIS will do!

    Since that event people have used the saying to warn people of this day.  As they all seem to think of it as an ill fated day.  When in my opinion it's just a day a group of fed up citizens decided to take matters into their own hands by killing their rumored tyrannical ideals of their leader.  So in reality, it's a day when we should band together to fight the evil, oppressive or wrong things going on in life.  Needless to say I think I've got that covered.  The true celebration for the Ides of March, well...I'm pretty sure I can get my celebratory side out a bit as well.  Especially seeing part of it is about expelling the bad old year and welcoming in the new one.  I am ALL for that at this point.

    This weekend is a larp where I will be playing with foam weapons, bird seed packets and tying scraps of cloth around people's arms and legs, it's a game called Mythical Journeys and I've been playing for a little while now.  My character for this game is a cleric and healer of Radiance and light.  She is part of a militant group who fights against the darkness, undead things and well evil.  After all what's truly dead should stay dead.  So this weekend I will be banding together with my rag tag crew of Defenders, to fight off the evil that plagues the town and world in which our characters live.  So all in all, I'm taking the true spirit of that fateful Ides of March to heart and helping to bring about good in the world.  Hopefully it will be a good time and we'll all come back with our shields or on them.

1 comment: