Friday, March 22, 2013

Communication, Helping to Make Things Work in a Real Life Group Quest

    In a table top rpg you have a group of adventurers who is part of your group.  Or in MANY video games, particularly MMO's, but you see it in FPS' as well where you can team up with people to complete a common goal.  Well as I've mentioned before I have an amazing real life party who I've been adventuring with.  It's not the smallest party and there are generally multiple people that fill the rolls of tanky type, dps, healing and the like.  I tend to be some mix between healing and dps so NORMALLY I don't have a lot of time without a tanky type about when in company of friends, as I am apparently crunchy and taste good with ketchup.  Doesn't mean I can't smote things and take care of myself when solo questing, but, when group questing or adventuring I am usually protected.

    Now as I said, I don't always need the protection of my tanky types to block aggro from the things life throws at me, or with random "talk to this person" quests.  However I have been realizing that I truly appreciate the fact that for the most part, there is some great amounts of communication between my group as a whole.  There have been a couple of circumstances when I'd bounced around as the social butterfly that I am and one or two of said people actually asked if I needed them to "block" and run interference for me again as they have been known to do in the past.  It made me smile a lot, while not always needed and the times that have actually been in question there were no "creatures or mobs" that I needed to have the aggro taken off of me.

    I mention this as it makes me very glad that I have the communication that I do with those who I've actually considered part of the crew.  Because in the past I've known some tanky types who rather then talking to me first and making sure what the strategy for that particular mob was they would charge in guns blazing, swords flashing like Leeroy Jenkins, not even waiting to see if it was needed.  Which many times causes more issues and frustrates the person they're trying to protect.  While the gesture is appreciated in all cases, it's not always what is necessary and sometimes the protected just ends up, upset as they were able to take care of things themselves.  I know I've had this happen myself and while, it does make me smile that they feel protective of me and try to keep me safe, I'm also VERY happy for the askance first.  Because you know what sometimes the little healer/dpser is actually enjoying the conversation or NEEDS to take care of the problem herself!

   I promise, I'm not complaining about the chivalrous acts.  Because it just goes to show that if people are raised right, that it's not dead.  Which I honestly think is great, again topic for another day, but sometimes a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

    On a completely separate note, I hope my readers who're going to PAX East have an AMAZING time this weekend, I'm jealous and wish I could be there with you!  Totally there in spirit and hopefully I'll be able to join you again next year!!  Because that is a SUPER fun convention!!  Have a blast and tell me all about it when you get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment