Monday, March 16, 2015

Charm Person...It's a Thing...Use It!

    It still amazes me that even into adulthood the whole "Cool Kids Club" exists. I like to refer to them as "The Plastics" as was a term used for them in one of the silly girly movies I actually like, "Mean Girls." Especially with the upsurge in geek culture.

    I don't think I'll ever understand the constant need to put someone else down, treat them like they're less than you are just because they are different or into different things. By all means, don't force yourself to be friends with them, but seriously if they are different don't make fun of them and treat them like dirt. You're liable to get a fireball in your face or something.

   I bring up this issue as I recently dealt with it at my questing partner's work. I occasionally collect the gold at the door for musical acts which charge people to see them. Every time this particular group of people come in they treat me with the utmost disrespect. Rolling their eyes when I am just doing my job and whisper and point all night. If anyone who doesn't remotely look like they belong with their group comes anywhere near the territory they claim for the night, it turns into big cat season and they stalk (in a primal animal way, not in a bad human way) that person to the point it makes them nervous and leave. I have watched this quite a few times at this point and frankly it makes me want to seriously knock them out of the building with wall of wind or something.

    I know I shouldn't be angry about it, but it just reminds me of all the persecution that was given to the "nerdy / geeky" people as we were coming up, especially being a female of the persuasion. This sounds like one of those, "back in my day" things. But the nerd / geek culture really doesn't know how great they have it. It has become a good thing to be a smart kid, be into some sort of thing that makes you a geek. But it wasn't always that way. It was a long carved out process to get there. Believe me I am so very glad we have gotten there and that if I have little adventurers someday they absolute be nerdy or geeky or just love to learn.

    But for now we still sometimes have to deal with the stupid that is "The Plastics." While I probably never would do anything about it, if they took things to the next level I might actually stand up to them and tell them they need to back off, because they wouldn't like me when I'm angry....I might go green and poisonous on them...

No comments:

Post a Comment